Tuesday, July 19, 2005

KEXP Bar-B-Que



This past weekend I went to the KEXP Barbeque in the parking lot of the studio (pictures here). And I have to say, it was amazing. I only had one ticket, so I went by myself and just hung out, enjoying the bands, the people watching, the sun, and the food.

Speaking of the bands, four of them played throughout the day. Starting off was Crooked Fingers, who I hadn't heard of before, but I am a big fan now. I think it is nicer to have no preconceived notions of a band (or movie, book, idea, etc), and then being totally blown away by them, which is what happened for me with Crooked Fingers.

Next on the menu was Smoosh, an 11 and 13 year old sister combo. I don't know if I am more impressed that they sounded as good as all the other bands, or scared for that same reason. All things considered though, I think that this band is going to be something special, and something to keep track of in the next 5-10 years (just imagine how good they will be when they are 19 and 21?)

The third set was played by the United States of Electronica, a band that was thrown together as a farce for one show. But the problem was that they were too good for just one show, and their fans wouldn't let them quit. And I now know why: they rocked. Even for Seattle, a town where the crowd will sit and passionlessly watch a great band play a great set, U.S.E. rocked enough to get the crowd moving.

Finally, the Super Secret Headliner band turned out to be none other than The Go! Team. And like I said before about Seattle crowds being way too snobby and sitting with hands crossed while listening to a live show, the Go! Team rocked them as well. You can see in the pictures that I took that the crowd is actually responding to the animated Ninja (the lead singer). Now that is rocking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home